Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Sunday, July 20, 2014
Saturday, July 19, 2014
Sunday, July 13, 2014
Friday, July 11, 2014
Saturday, June 28, 2014
Friday, June 20, 2014
Before you drag that weathered, rust-speckled patio furniture to the curb and have to invest hundreds of dollars into a new set, consider this:
IT COST ME $12 FOR TWO CANS OF RUST-OLEUM ULTRA COVER SPRAY PAINT AND EXACTLY ONE HOUR FROM SPRAY TO DRY TO TAKE THIS GLASS TOP PATIO TABLE FROM JUNKIE TO FUNKY!
SEA GREEN - Name of Spray Paint Color
HOW I TRANSFORMED THIS OLD, RUSTY TABLE INTO A BEAUTIFUL, SHINY, PATIO PRIZE PIECE...
The table was given to me by a neighbor who had stored it with the glass top on it so not only was the wrought iron rusted and peeling, but the glass was also stained from the rust. The photo below shows just a few stains but what I started with was a huge, dense, rust ring that lined the entire table circumference. I took it to the back yard and hosed it down, Lime-Awayed it, Magic Erased it...None of these would budge the rust one bit... The technique for removing rust from glass that finally worked like a charm was...
Step 1: Ridding the Rust
- WHITE VINEGAR - With the glass table top laying on the ground and the rusted side up, I poured white vinegar (not diluted) all over the glass.
- SOAK - The vinegar needs to soak for a while to begin to loosen the rust. An hour at least. When I did the rust ridding process, it was midday and very sunny so there is no concern about doing this in the sun. Also there is no issue with doing this process on the grass.
- SCRUB AND SOLUTION - With water and liquid soap and a stiff dish scrubbing brush, or rough sponge begin to aggressively scrub the rust.
- RINSE AND REPEAT IF NECESSARY
Step 2: Prepping the Surface for Paint
- PROTECT EXPOSED SURFACES, CONCRETE, DECK, ETC. - A broken down cardboard box makes for a good spray painting surface.
- DISABLE ANY TABLE TOPS OR PIECES OF THE FURNITURE THAT ARE NOT MEANT TO BE PAINTED
- WIPE DOWN - Very little preparation is needed, even with mild rust and flaking paint when using the double coverage spray paint. Use a dry cloth to wipe off dirt and loose paint.
Step 3: Spray